My Dog Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie – What Do I Do?

My dog ate a chocolate chip cookie – now what? This guide will answer your common questions quickly so you can make the best decision for your pet.

my dog ate a chocolate chip cookie pin

Did your dog get into your stash of cookies?

Accidents happen, even to the most diligent pet owner.

Let’s figure out what you need to do to make sure your pup is okay!

The biggest question on your mind is likely whether or not you need to rush to the vet.

Unfortunately, there’s no cut-and-dry answer because it’s dependent upon your dog’s weight and the amount of chocolate they consumed.

Thankfully, the vast majority of chocolate ingestion cases are NOT fatal.

The statistics are in your favor, as long as you properly assess the situation, and take action as soon as possible.

Related: Can Dogs Eat Popsicles?

My Dog Ate A Chocolate Chip Cookie – What Do I Do?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs because of a chemical called theobromine, along with caffeine.

Dogs are unable to metabolize these chemicals the way humans can!

The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic and dangerous it is to your furry friend.

According to, baker’s chocolate is highly concentrated, containing about 130-450mg of theobromine per ounce of chocolate.

Milk chocolate contains about 44-58mg/ounce, and white chocolate contains roughly 0.25mg/ounce.

What really stinks about chocolate chip cookie consumption in dogs, is even if the chocolate doesn’t cause issues, the sugar and other ingredients can also cause stomach issues and vomiting.

So, what do you do?

1. Remove accessibility to any leftover cookies, and keep the packaging. This can help your vet figure out roughly how much they consumed, and if there are any other toxic ingredients like macadamia nuts or raisins.

2. Contact your vet. They will be able to guide you and help you decide if a trip to the vet is necessary or not. If a low dose was consumed, treatment might be unnecessary. A larger amount of chocolate will likely require you to bring your pet in to be assessed and possibly treated.

3. Follow your vet’s instructions. There are things you can do at home to aid in your dog’s comfortability, but you don’t want to try them without consulting your vet first. They will let you know which options are safe and which are not. It can be tempting to try to remedy the situation on your own, with how expensive vet bills can get. But, their guidance is well worth it so your puppy doesn’t get even sicker.

Now, let’s answer some common questions.

What Happens If A Dog Eats A Chocolate Chip Cookie?

my dog ate a chocolate chip cookie featured image

It depends on how much chocolate the dog consumed, how much your dog weighs, and if there are any other toxic ingredients in them.

That’s why it’s important to keep the packaging for your vet.

Symptoms To Look Out For:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea 
  • Increased thirst
  • Panting
  • Restlessness
  • Excessive urination
  • Racing heart rate

The following symptoms can occur in severe cases:

  • Seizures
  • Heart failure
  • Muscle tremors 
  • Aspiration pneumonia (from vomiting)

How Many Chocolate Chips Does It Take To Hurt A Dog?

how many chocolate chips does it take to hurt a dog

It depends entirely on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate they ingested. This is a good article to reference. It says,

  • “A 9-pound dog could be expected to exhibit symptoms of chocolate toxicity after eating 1 ounce of baking chocolate, 3 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate.
  • A 27-pound dog might have such symptoms after eating 3 ounces of baking chocolate, 9 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, and 27 ounces of milk chocolate.
  • A 63-pound dog might exhibit symptoms after eating 7 ounces of baking chocolate, 21 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, or 63 ounces of milk chocolate.”

Can One Chocolate Chip Cookie Kill A Dog?

Can One Chocolate Chip Cookie Kill A Dog

Theoretically, yes. One chocolate chip cookie can kill a dog.

Especially if it’s bakers chocolate, and if your dog is small.

Again, the best thing to do is contact your veterinarian.

How Long After Eating Chocolate Will My Dog Get Sick?

How Long After Eating Chocolate Will My Dog Get Sick

Symptoms will usually arise 6-12 hours after ingestion.

How Can You Tell If Your Dog Has Chocolate Poisoning?

How Can You Tell If Your Dog Has Chocolate Poisoning

Within a few hours, your dog will likely start acting lethargic and/or showing signs of stomach upset, including vomiting, diarrhea, increased water consumption, etc.

Should I Make My Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate?

Should I Make My Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate

It actually can be recommended by your vet to induce vomiting.

However, you need their guidance.

Be sure to contact them promptly.

FrugLife strives to provide accurate advice and helpful resources to pet owners. Your pet’s health is important to us, so please remember that the content on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, and is for entertainment purposes only. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified animal healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s medical or behavioral condition.

Has your dog eaten a chocolate chip cookie? Share your experience or advice below to help other pet owners.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.