My Dog Ate Chocolate – Now What?

So you think your dog ate chocolate and you’re wondering what to do next? Read on to figure out how serious the situation is, and what steps you should take next.

It’s a well-known fact that chocolate is toxic to dogs.

That doesn’t mean accidents won’t happen, though.

It’s not unusual for well-meaning pet owners to find themselves in a situation where their beloved pup has eaten some chocolate.

Whether your dog has eaten a chocolate chip cookie or found a bag of last year’s Halloween candy, it’s important to understand just how dangerous chocolate is to dogs, as well as the actions you should take to ensure your pet’s safety.

Quick Notes:

  • Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is what is so hazardous to your dog (along with caffeine)
  • Signs of chocolate poisoning typically occur within 12 hours of ingestion
  • Baker’s chocolate is particularly toxic because of the concentration of theobromine, followed by dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and then white chocolate
  • Watch for changes in appetite or vomiting/diarrhea, and contact your vet right away if you think your dog is suffering or sick
  • Older dogs and dogs with heart conditions are more at risk of chocolate poisoning

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate

dog ate chocolate featured image

Assess The Situation

Try to figure out how much chocolate your dog consumed, and what type.

The more bitter and dark the chocolate, the more toxic.

Obviously, you’ll want to remove access to any more chocolate, but more importantly, keep the packaging!

It will be helpful for your vet should you need to take them in.

Look For The Signs of Chocolate Poisoning

The signs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Elevated/abnormal heart rate
  • Unresponsiveness

Contact Your Veterinarian

Your vet will be able to guide you through whatever needs to happen to help your dog, whether it’s an at-home care plan, or a serious emergency.

You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice.

PetMD also has a chocolate toxicity meter that you can use to figure out how serious the situation is for you.

What Will The Vet Do?

Can One Chocolate Chip Cookie Kill A Dog

If your dog ate the chocolate about 2 hours ago or less, your veterinarian may induce vomiting and give him several doses of activated charcoal, which helps move the toxins out of the body and prevents it from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

For more serious cases, they may give medications or IV fluids.

If your dog is having seizures, they will likely spend the night for monitoring.

Did your dog get into chocolate? What helped? What did the vet do? Let us know in the comments below!


When you join our newsletter

FrugLife strives to provide accurate advice and helpful resources to pet owners. Your pet’s health is important to us, so please remember that the content on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, and is for entertainment purposes only. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified animal healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s medical or behavioral condition.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.