What Human Food Can Dogs Eat?
Learn what human food can dogs eat, and which ones you should avoid giving, even as an occasional treat.
*This post contains affiliate links, however, all opinions are our own, as always.
It’s tempting when you’re eating a delicious homemade meal or a yummy snack to share with your furry best friend, especially when they give you “the look.”
It’s always smart to do a quick search first to see which foods are safe for your dog to eat. Below are the listed foods that your pooch can have in moderation, the foods that are safe for them to eat, and the foods you should avoid altogether, so you can screenshot and save for later.
You’ll be free to share your food safely in no time!
There are lots of delicious homemade treats and popsicles you can make for your dog at home. These options can be cost-effective and customizable to fit your dog’s dietary needs and favorite flavors.
Learn what to do if your dog eats chocolate in this guide
What Human Food Can Dogs Eat?
Dogs are carnivores, and in the wild would consume prey animals and seasonal vegetables and fruits. When making your own homemade dog food, or sharing scraps from your plate, always keep that in mind.
Foods That Are Safe For Dogs:
- Sweet Potato
- Peanut Butter
- Green Peas
- Green Beans
These foods are all considered to be safe and healthy for the majority of dogs to consume.
As always, check with your vet first if you have any concerns, and watch for potential allergies.
Foods To Limit:
- Cottage Cheese
These foods can be okay in moderation but should be limited.
What Human Foods Are Dangerous For Your Dog?
Foods That Are Dangerous To Dogs:
- Macadamia Nuts
- Onions (Learn why in this article)
- Caffeine (Coffee + Tea)
- Raw Yeast Dough
- Chicken bones
Check out our Shop
Shop some of our best sellers:
Watch this video on human foods that are actually healthy for your dog:
Foods That Are Commonly Asked About:
- Can dogs eat hot dogs? No – stick to chicken or beef instead.
- Can dogs drink apple juice? Yes – in moderation.
- Can dogs eat clams? Yes – they’re actually pretty healthy for your dog and contain some awesome nutrients and vitamins.
- Can dogs eat imitation crab? Yes – but in moderation. It’s not toxic to dogs but isn’t healthy by any means.
- Can dogs at fish sticks? Yes – but in moderation
- Can dogs eat Nutella? No – but a small amount will likely be okay if they accidentally ate some. It contains very little chocolate.
- Can dogs eat slim jims? No – they’re known to cause intestinal blockages and are high in sodium.
FREE PUPPY SOCIALIZATION CHECKLIST
When you join our newsletter:
What homemade treats and foods do you serve your dog? Let us know in the comments below.
FrugLife strives to provide accurate advice and helpful resources to pet owners. Your pet’s health is important to us, so please remember that the content on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, and is for entertainment purposes only. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified animal healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s medical or behavioral condition.
*Post originally published May 2022, last updated February 2023.